header image

Resources (Revamped)

Will our resources really run out?

Trees are instrumental in the economy today. They bring up controversy continually, in every aspect of life. They are discussed, as they are one of our world’s greatest resources. We ponder upon what to do with them. Are we going to run out of them?

In my opinion, trees are similar to several other resources in the world. We complain about running out of oil. We venture into the possibility of a fresh-water shortage. So, should we preserve these resources? Predictions about resource shortages and environmental issues have been wrong on several occasions. Are we ever going to run out of resources? Likely. Will it happen within the next hundred years? Debatable. Should we preserve these resources? Unanswerable.

“How do we find a balance for the economy and environment, especially when so many countries with intense poverty need to either sacrifice the health of their environment, or the living conditions of their people for a building and business projects?”

-Louise Hung

Nicholas Kraemer talks about the role trees play in our society today, in his latest blog post: “The Value of a Tree.” Trees are valued for different reasons. Donya’s drawing portrays the values of trees to the Europeans versus the First Nations. A similar concept is brought up in one of my earlier posts. Nicholas asks us, “What do we do with this resource?”

I was intrigued by this question. I thought about this, on a larger level, or widespread. Do we need to sacrifice the environment for humanity? Using up resources (even at a surprisingly fast level) is necessary for the economy to stay strong. Nicholas Kraemer says: “Logging creates hundreds of jobs, and it’s one of B.C.’s primary ways of making money.” As part of human nature, we will use the resources this earth provides for our survival. We are the dominant creatures on this earth and we must use it to our advantage. In my opinion, we will not drain our resources dry for several centuries to come. And even if we do, we are continually conquering the impossible, to come up with new ways to create power. Many have foreseen failure to invent currently existing technology. We continually surprise ourselves with feats of nature.

Personally, I feel we should put this issue into perspective. We cannot waste our resources, neither preserve them. A shortage of resources is a “what if” situation. What if, we ran out of oil? Then we would be forced to find an alternate way to create energy. What if, we ran out of clean drinking water? Then we would be forced to use water purifiers. As Ms. Mulder (one of my teachers) always says, “Come to me with solutions, not problems.” For all of those people who complain about the end of resources; you should find a solution and instigate its action.

When we drain our resources, we can find a new solution. For the meantime though, let’s use something novel – our discretion. Use the resources you’re provided with in moderation. Use your car to get to work, but don’t leave it running for 10 minutes before you use it. Use paper to write, but don’t throw it away because there’s a fold in it. Balance is important.

Overall, the preservation of world resources is a tricky issue, and a complicated concept to understand. In the end, we just need to use our discretion, moderation, and think. It’s as simple as reduce, re-use, recycle, and in the case of trees, renew.

~ by Jonathan on October 12, 2010 .

One Response to “Resources (Revamped)”

1.   Mr. J Says:

I enjoyed this re-working of the post, Jonathan: it flows much better and presents your argument with more concentrated focus (clearly divided paragraphs) that allows you to clearly incorporate diverse opinions on the topic. The piece could still benefit from fewer\different word choices in a few places, but is overall much improved.

You are speaking, I think, in a similar direction to Liam, on his recent post, The Judgment (http://talonsliam.edublogs.org/2010/10/21/the-judgement/). Independently, you each arrive at a similar point: “In the end, we just need to use our discretion, moderation, and think,” and “Being greedy is bad. But it’s almost as bad to waste what we have.”

Thanks for taking the time and effort to improve your draft of the post. I look forward to seeing your writing continue to develop this year.

Mr. J